Monday, November 16, 2009

Knowledge on Art objects

When talking about art objects, I can definitely say I am very artistically challenged. I haven’t taken an art class since I was in about the 7th grade. I am the person who still can only draw stick figures for people. This dumbfounds me because my mom and sister have a lot of artistic ability. They like to make potpourri and table centers. This lack of artistic ability could be because I don’t have any basic knowledge of art objects, or I because I just haven’t taken enough classes, or because I have a mom that can do something like that for me. This next semester I hope to broaden my history in art, because I will be taking introduction to art.
The only art museum I have been to is the Norfolk’s Art Center. In my elementary years we went to the art center just about every year. When we went there, we always got a tour, went into the art room and made something, and looked at some new art features. I have also taken a couple pottery classes at the art center with my mom. Pottery is defined as ceramic ware made by potters (Pottery, wikipedia). Some major types of pottery include earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain. I personally have only dealt with Earthenware. I have been interested in using porcelain to make a human object such as a baby.
I have not had any personally experience with rhetorically analyzing art-objects on my own time. The exception is in this English class, when we went outside and analyzed and made arguments about the Roxy Paine’s “Breach.” We learned from just analyzing that sculpture many thing, such as arguments it may be making, who and where it was made, and also what it was made out of. I think this next writing assignment is going to be very challenging for me, but kind of exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment